Monday, August 26, 2013

Lessons in Climbing: Loosing a Tooth

Earlier today I received an email from Ivan's Dad, Gabriel,  that I really wanted to share with the rest of you. Not only is it very entertaining, but I think we could all learn a little something from Ivan. The following is the contents of the email:

Ivan lost his first tooth today (Saturday) in an epic fashion. He was leading a climb in Maple Canyon. His feet were well above the 3rd bolt. He went to clip the 4th bolt and he put the rope in his mouth to use his free hand to pull some extra slack. The weight of the rope pulled his tooth out, he managed to keep one hand on the rock, drop the rope, put his tooth in his back pocket, pull the rope back up and clip the draw with out falling, hanging or freaking out. He went on to flash and red-point the climb!  He wants to make a good-luck climbing necklace with the tooth now!

I was so impressed with how levelheaded Ivan was, even when something very unexpected happened. My equilibrium has been thrown while climbing and I am afraid to say that I did not respond well. Many times I give up or get frustrated and loose focus. What is it that allowed Ivan to remain so calm? I am not positive, but I have a theory based on observations of other great climbers.

In the book, Maximum Climbing by Eric Horst he states that the factor that sets the elite climbers apart from the average is their ability to not get caught up in the numbers game. Many of us set out to climb the hardest grade possible, while this is a worthy goal it may not aid us in reaching our full potential as climbers. Climbers like Lynn Hill and Chris Sharma have been heard saying that climbing is a journey; an opportunity to truly connect with your surrounding, for them it is not just about the hard send or avoiding the scary fall. They do not define the entire climb based on one factor they enjoy it as whole. Loosing my tooth on a route would throw me for sure and I might loose the entire experience to it, but Ivan showed me that a loosing your tooth is simply part of the entire experience. Thank you for sharing Ivan and Gabriel. 

This story made me think of another great climber Wolfgan Gullich who said, "A man doesn't go to drink coffee after climbing, coffee is an integral part of the climbing." Everything, can be part of the process.

Climb On,
Kyli


No comments: